Cognition and Learning
Support for learning difficulties may be required when children and young people learn at a slower pace than their peers, even with appropriate differentiation. Learning difficulties cover a wide range of needs including moderate and severe learning difficulties through to profound and multiple learning difficulties, in addition to specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia).
WHAT IS OUR UNIVERSAL OFFER FOR COGNITION AND LEARNING?
Quality first teaching may include:
- pupil groupings
- adaptation of materials being used e.g. size of print / colour paper / overlays
- scaffolding children's learning
- multi-sensory learning
- Accelerated reader
WHAT IS OUR TARGETED OFFER FOR COGNITION AND LEARNING?
We use the following assessment tools / screenings to help us identify a child's barrier to learning:
- Bench marking and accelerated reader for reading
- Dyslexia screener
- Dyscalculia screener
- BPVS-British picture vocabulary scale
- Phonics screening
- PHAB-Phonological assessment battery
- Sandwell maths assessment
- Memory screeners
We use the following strategies and interventions:
- Over learning through the use of precision teaching
- Dancing Bears
- Apples and pears
- Toe by toe
- Fisher family trust (FFT)
- Word wasp
- Memory magic (St Eds)
- Memo (St Joes)
- Beat dyslexia
WHAT IS OUR SPECIALIST OFFER FOR COGNITION AND LEARNING?
Where interventions do not seem to be having impact and / or we need support understanding a child's needs we can access Specialist Education Service.
Some useful websites:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/20783005 BBC My Dyslexic Mind - A Newsround Special